Sunday, December 7, 2008

Things I learnt from my first half marathon

(i) Sometimes there may really be somebody out there, keeping a lookout for you..

I had remembered to set my alarm at 4am. But somehow, I woke up at 3am at the tail-end of some weird dream, and after realising that it was still early, I went back to sleep again (the dream continued..). But somehow I felt that I was going to be late, woke up and realised that the clock was at 10 minutes pass 4am..and my alarm didn't go off! Thank goodness..

(ii) It is possible to run more than 1 hour.. without stopping..

I think I would called myself mad if I said it 2 years earlier. Anyway for today, I decided to just listen to my body and stop only when it says so. And so I went on to the 2 hours mark...I was pretty amazed at that especially since I hadn't train for it.

(iii) and your body does talk to you..sometimes all at the same time.

The ankles say.."See lah..wear heels lah.."

The knees say.."I have not seen poundings like this since..like never?!"

The hamstring and glut say.."Wee! Work it baby! But if this goes on for too long, we think we need to rest leh..."

The back say.."Hmm..not bad..still surviving..better dont surge too much hor..if not..you know"

The arms say.."When was the last time you work us out?! Of course we are not used to swinging!"

The head says.."Come on..Come on..run your own race....Dont listen to the rest.."

(iv) There is no way to complete the race comfortable if you never train for it!

Did I say I didn't train for the run? Serve me right.

(v) Sometimes we are too fast paced for our own good. We miss the nice sights and sounds that surround us everyday

Like how the morning sky gather light.

Like how calm the water at Kallang Basin is.

Like how the Singapore Flyer had added to a new dimension to the Singapore skyline.

Like how solidatory is Shenton Way, without its maddening office crowd.

(vi) The things some people carry in their hands (hands..not as if they strap it to their arms or something)

Digi cams, video cams, handphones, wife's handbag (i'm not kidding)...

(vii) What did they teach us during Senior Officer Training? No matter what it is, it's always important to at least have some $$ on you.

Especially when shortly after finishing 21 km and the one of the first delightful sights was an ice cream man selling ice cream. And you have naught moolah on you. Darn.

(viii) Wardrobe malfunction can cause painful experiences post event

Especially when it caused raw skin area, on the torso, and makes it &%&$^*!# painful whenever water touches it.

(ix) Ice Mocha is nice after run :))

(x) A phone cam is always handy for catching post run shots. Should have done so pre-run, but it's too early..I think the phone will reject my morning grouchy face look..

Happy People After 21km (Photos courtesy of CK's phone cum music player)

2 comments:

thyheiworkz said...

omg... i couldn't recognize that it was CK on the picture man!

did she like lost weight again???

MojitoMint said...

I think she will be very happy to read this..hahahah~