Thursday, July 9, 2009

What is your passion?

Since I am at it (waiting for the dog to sleep - but hurray! Sis is back and she gg to take over after she showers), I was surfing through FB and saw one of message thread with an ex-colleague.

It started out as he asking about the new place, the culture and stuff, and we went into how mid-life crisis came about, when people begin to attempt at finding meaning in their lives other than work. And he revealed that he would pursue his passion, if not for the fact that it probably cant support his financial obligations, to which I replied that well, at least the job is paying for the pursuit, so it's a win-win situation.

Then as a parting shot, he asked, "So what is your passion?"

I was stumped. My first thought was, does interest count as passion?

Sometime ago, was discussing with a friend on a common friend of ours, that that particular guy cruises through life without much of an objective, taking one day at a time. Not that he is forced to, by circumstances like some who may have to put away their personal wants and desire for something or someone else. I find it difficult to understand how one passes through life like this.

Maybe it's the habitual goal setting routine since young, having to better onself through the numerous practises on the hockey pitch (of course la..you miss-hit another ball hnot only kena scolding and even maybe ordered to run 5 rounds round the pitch!), to aim for a spot in the next tournament, with all the self talking, when knowing that the best person to motivate you, is well, yourself, and that at the end of the day, you can look back and say, that was a well taken journey.

Anyway I rambled. My point is, now that I stop playing competitive, mundane everyday life seems somewhat lacking, and I become restless to the point of being snappy and irritable. So being that, I started to looking around for stuff to do. But does that count as passion? Hockey possibly was, and that's probably the only reason for playing in the local league now. But if I am still passionate, I would have stayed to help out in other areas, especially after the one-hit-wonder stint as the team manager last year. But somehow the fire wasn't that strong for me to stay on given some of the rubbish I encountered.

And that's how I went into diving. But passion? It waits to be seen, but I like it so far. Probably when I dive more and start seeing more underwater wonders, I may be drawn more into this silent world.

Masochism? Ego-feeding? Donno. Anyway this is a good thought-nugget to gnaw on..what is my passion..hmm..

(gnaw?? I have been spending too much time with my dog..sheesh :/)

No comments: