Saturday, July 25, 2009

Public Pools in Singapore

I previously commented that public pool is yucky. That was after I been to the Jurong East public pool one Sun afternoon when I decided to finally hit the pool after a long hiatus.

Being a Sun, the competition pool was crowded. But most of the people were there just to dip in the pool. The kind that stood around the edge of the pool, so that when you were heading trying to clear another lap, you had to try to find a spot along the wall that was NOT occupied by another standing-body in order to touch and push off again. And more often that not, that spot was often none existent so you had to just stop swimming, stood up and turn around.

That was not bad enough. Sometimes you had group of men/boys horsing around that side of the pool (which was of course shallow enough for them to stand chest deep); and then you had to try to swim around them, then try to find the afore mentioned spot.

But hey..I have not gotten to the yucky part. How many of you swam with your eyes open? (with goggles of course).

Have you ever had a look at what is at the bottom of the pool?? Or maybe it's better not to look.

And have you ever wonder..that men standing along the side of the wall..when you dipped in the water for so long, wont you have the urge to go toilet? How often do you see people step out of the pool, leave for somewhere (that would be the toilet), then come back into the pool? And how many of them actually use the pool-side showers before jumping into the pool?

Which was why I had really hesistated when I was thinking that I havent clock any swim this week. But I figured, the throngs of people will only hit the pool on Sun, assuming that some may work half-days on saturday, or only during the late afternoon when it gets really hot. So i decided to hit the pool at 11am.

I think my figur-ation was probably quite accurate - the pool less yucky, there are less men hogging the walls. No, there were still..but there were more wall spaces.

Did I mention only about the men at the pool? That's cos there were really like 98% men. There was only 2 other ladies at the pool today, and only 1 the other Sun. This shows how off-putting to the women the public competition pool is with all the men formation, I think.

I prob need to look for another pool..

No comments: