Sunday, July 26, 2009

The song in your heart on the cresent and stars

This year's NDP song seem to be mired in controversies. Many commented that NDP song should be something that they can sing-a-long, that can rile up people's emotions as it gets played and got sung during the national events..and not some punkish group asking people what they can see.

Maybe that's why people dont like it. ("See..see what? Huh? Got sign that says "No eating" on MRT meh?")

Going by what I read from the forums, I wonder why so many people think we need another Sing-a-long NDP song. We already have many - I dont think anybody can ever forget how to sing "Count on me Singapore" (that is my favourite...my eye will always involuntarily become a bit glisten with that wee bit of tear when I sing it :p) (don't tell me you dont???) or "Stand up for Singapore". But of course, there were a handful that was probably as forgettrable. You think anybody can really remember the lyrics of Kit Chan's “家”?

Or maybe it's been a while since these few iconic songs were composed. It shoud be around the 1980s...gosh..and in between, there wasn't much of a song that can have as much impact and with the ease of tune and lyrics for the mass majority. But then, the 1980s was the era of 新谣, when the songs were more 朴实、down to earth, reflecting leaner times when the majority of the populations are less sophisticated in their lifestyle. It translates to the simplicity and autsterity of the tunes and lyrics of those songs, which of course, make them easy to sing; and in a way, makes these songs uniquely reflecting the Singaporean experience. Just take "小人物的心声".

However now, things are so different from yester years. Singaproeans are so exposed to the vast amount of information from around the world, getting into the latest trends in every aspect of their lives, which includes musical taste. I think if "Stand Up for Singapore" is introduced in today's times, I wonder how many people will give it the thumbsdown.

Anyway, I like this year's NDP song. Of course, I may be biased cos I like Electrico in the first place. But I like the fact that finally NDP is supporting local acts, instead of pop stars who are heavily influenced by Taiwan, Hongkong music scenes. Not that "What Do You See" does not show any Western pop scene influence; personally I thought it sounded a bit like Coldplay without the Brit accent. But I do not think it deserves the bad criticisms thus far, cos other things notwithstanding, it is a nice catchy song.

Maybe this NDP-song word-war can generate more interest in driving up a movement to develop a local musical scene, that can come up with an NDP song that many will like and can sing along, which is then truly Singaporean.

So here goes.


Btw I cant help but this is a cute ditzy-Singaporeans'-idiosyncratic song that I have to share. I love the part on the durian..took me 1 sec to realise what it meant. hahah~

No comments: