Friday, June 13, 2008

Brown Sugar Food Review

I forgot that I cant link CY's blog. So I am reproducing here his actual piece. (pardon the alignment of the photographs..btw I realised how posting large photograph of food makes so much of a difference on the visual impact). I just hope my alignment will turn out right after publishing.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Brown Sugar Cafe Bistro Nestled in a nook off River Valley Road, this limited capacity venue has a simple, cosy yet warm decor, through the clever use of ambient lighting. Complimentary wholemeal bread was served warm and lightly toasted. It tasted different, with a light tinge of spice which lingers in your tastebuds even after sips of the chilled water. Grab your napkins before you start drooling over the delicacies.


Handchopped Wagyu Beef Burger, truffled mushroom sauce, arugula salad and fries. To spice my wagyu beef a little, I requested for foie grass to top my wagyu beef. As expected, the flavour of wagyu was delicate, unlike the usual robust steaks. The succulent medium rare cooked wagyu beef, perfectly complemented by the balsamic vinegar dressing in the arugula salad, the crispy crunch from the toasted ciabatta and the additional foie grass made the entire dish all so venerable.


Linguine of organic mushrooms in cream sauce with sliced parma ham. The shaved parma ham tantalized me greatly as I was reminded of my favourite entree of shaved parma ham on rock melon.


We decided to give appetizers a miss, because the names of the respective desserts served their purpose dutifully to entice us. We were advised that all desserts were baked to order and has a waiting time of at least fifteen minutes. I had the signature Tarte Tatin of Pears with Honey and Fig ice cream. A very interesting and fresh dessert, and recently pear desserts seem to draw their appeal. The pastry was well toasted and I particularly fancied the hardened caramalized glaze. The luscious slices of pear were ripe-sweet, providing a good crunch to the accompanied pastry. Dabbed with a generous slush of the well-textured ice cream simply sent me on an insulin high.


Pardon this inferior quality photograph, which does zero justice to the rich flavour of the Molten 100% Valrhona Chocolate Cake, Raspberry Coulis and Vanilla ice cream. A soft crust hides within the decadent molten chocolate, which was served warm. Paired with vanilla ice cream made from vanilla beans, it tenders an opulent flavour, leaving you crave for more. Indulgence in the piquant entremets was a fulfilling experience and as Pauline put it, I don't seem to 'waste my calories on bad food'.

No comments: