Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Things I dont understand about Chinese New Year

(i) why is it always asasociated with hoping for windfall?

I happened to watch the repeat of the Channel 8 countdown program the next day at my uncle's place. At the stroke of midnight, the song played was something about 发大财. There are so many songs about 迎春,万象更新..but why only 发大财?

(ii) why CNY songs just are not the same as Christmas carols

I cringed when 933 started flooding all the CNY songs over the airwave. But as usual with all droned in mechanism, I will still hum semi-automatically while driving and even at odd weird timings (like waiting for lifts). But they are just not the same as Christmas carols. One friend volunteered that it's cos carols are soothing and peaceful, while the CNY songs are all 咚咚锵s, ie as lively as possible.

(iii) why it seems like an excuse to gamble?

ban-luck, mahjong (ok..I did play but then I had played socially even when its not CNY, so its different!)..we dont need to wait for IRs, prob just CNY season all year round maybe.

(iv) why bak kwa only during CNY?

actually if you ask me, I also dont know why bak kwa and pineapple tarts which I both loved during CNY just dont have the same appeal to me pre and post CNY. Only when placed alongside with the other mountainful of junk food I will zoom in only on these two. And at whichever stops I go for the visiting, these two are still as tempting as when I spotted them at the first stop. But once CNY over..the craves just vanishe into thin air.


p/s, one 欠扁问答题courtesy of Ah Xiu : 有人打抢东西,有四个人- 东东,南南,西西,北北, 谁是哪个劫匪?

I cant help it since I mentioned it earlier :p hahaha~

2 comments:

gie said...

Pls don't tell me the robbers are 南南 &/or 北北...

MojitoMint said...

hah~ it's 东东 :D