Friday, January 2, 2009

Ponyo On the Cliff by the Sea

I wanna watch!



I had always like the animes from Gibli Studios, which started with a chance encounter with My Neighbour Totoro, which led me to buy a whole collection from Poh Kim (the video store) later on. It's surprising that the different stories are quite poignant, each with their own morals message and bigger social issues. Like, Princess Mononoke and Nasicaa of the Valley of the Winds were insinuating the damages to earth if we continue forest logging and dumping toxics on our land. Grave of the Fireflies bring back the dread of the WW2, its images jarring against the modern flourish of the modern city at the end of the show (it was a real tear jerker! I dont think I have ever cried so much over a cartoon =.=")

Then recently, it was the big screen Spirited Away and the latest, Howl's Moving Castle. Although I was quite lost during Howl's Moving Castle, but the graphics and the flow of the story is something that is uniquely Hayao Miyazaki.

Cant wait to see Ponyo..and I cant get the tune out of my head! :p

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the animated movies by Hayao Miyazaki, too. I find his stories meaningful, especially those that convey innocence, courage, diligence, trust, simplicity and the love for nature.

I was introduced to his animated works when I was quite old. A Hong Kong friend shared with me ‘Laputa’, in Cantonese. I was immediately captivated. I went on to watch almost all his works and I especially remember … I don’t know the English titles…. the first is about how a young girl strived to fulfil her ambition to write a novel and the mutual innocent feelings with a school mate, the second is the recount by a lady of the nostalgic memories of her primary 5 school days.

Everyone grows old, but with a child-like innocence in our hearts, our lives will be brighter every single day.