Saturday, November 29, 2008

The saddening headlines this morning

I gasped when I flipped over the paper over coffee this morning and saw the headlines - " Singaporean hostage killed in Mumbai". The first Singaporean victim fallen to terrorism.

Even if I dont know Lo Hoei Yen, nor her family, I cant help but feel a sense of sadness at the loss of a life, who totally had not relation to the terror wielded by this bunch of supposedly young men, in a country not ours and woes not in any way caused by of our doings. It could have been me, my family or friends who happen to be at the wrong place, wrong time...

What we take for granted..travelling safely on the roads, being able to catch up with friends now and then in town, going about our daily lives. How much of these can we still enjoy should there be a chance that someone will sabotage our MRT lines and buses, for eg, or if a bunch of renegades storm a downtown spot?

Looking at our neighbours in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, I appreciate the fact that our little red dot is stable, like in the eye of the storm. But then, should the storm shift, I cannot imagine what we have to give up.

I treasure what I have now, and I pray that terrors in such forms will never reach our shores.

No comments: