Sunday, October 5, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake!


Nope. Not this.


But this.

Or at leat what I tried to be.

First, I cant find whole wheat flour - after scouring Giant, Sheng Siong, NTUC..In the end, I settled for semolina, which is also wheat flour, but after checking with Sunshine, who told me that semolina is actually grinded finer. But what the heck..I already got the strawberry and whipped cream. It will do for a start :p

Second, I cant seem to be able to whip the egg white properly. I think I was probably too impatient, cos I threw in the sugar before the whites were properly peaking. and I couldn't really get the whites to form the "stiff peaks" after that.So it was half an hour of using the mixer until my arm is sort of achy now. Bleh. Straightaway after the mixture went into the pot (I bake with a cooking pot btw..), I googled for the best way to beat egg white until they peak . The wonder of the Ingtereck.

Third, I think I have a subconscious adversion to whipped cream. Instead of whipping the cream from scratch, I cheated and bought a can of whipped cream. Whih is not easy to spread on cake?! It sort of turned watery when I i tried to spead it around (how did people do it so nicely like in the photo?) Maybe also my subconscious mind keeps telling me "less cream. less cream. less cream". Maybe the trick for nicely spread out whipped cream is to dump lots of it? ( I did noticed the thick layer of cream in the photo which made the cake looked super delicious. Hmmm..)

The final product didn't do too badly, but my mum said it tasted like 鸡蛋糕 -.-"

Ok, the next one will definitely be better. The search for whole wheat flour is on!


2 comments:

Becky said...

Hey, where's my share?

MojitoMint said...

sorry my dear, this batch not so good. Wait till I perfect it! :p