Wednesday, October 22, 2008

So busted...

my back, that is.


Was all ok during the run and after it, though a bit on the stiff side. Which was why I decided to stretch a lil before going to sleep. Of course, going a bit more to hear the back cracking which was the ultimate relief for a stiff back if you ask anyone.


But what I hadn't expect was that I cant even flip myself over in bed the next morning.


The last time my back acted up was prob during the season early this year, but I was careful. And I was sure it hadn't been so bad that I hadn't see it coming, or feeling the pain first thing in the morning. I had attempted to get it sorted out last year, but the inconveniene of visiting the sports clinic and the lack of interest from the staff there hadn't tempted me to followup with treatment. Serve myself right.

Needless to say, the whole morning was misery overdose when every movement had to be done gingerly without sending the back muscles into spasm. I dropped the eyelash curler in the morning, and took at least 1 whole minute to reach for it and stand up again, and even then was sweating with the effort. Getting into and out of the car became uncomfortable affairs. Someone in the office carpark was giving me the weird look when I had to slowly crawl out, grab the door and right myself up, wait for 10 seconds for the pain to subside before reaching for my bag in the car. At some point in time I was walking like a Liang Po Po cause it was simply too painful to stand straight to walk.



Desperation called for desperate measures. I had to resort to finding the nearest clinic to office that can deal with back problems and I called to make an appointment fixed at 1230. So giving myself enough time, I left office at 1215pm, only to bump into my Dir at the lift lobby and hv him asking "Going for lunch huh?". "Yes Sir, running some errands too." Damn, of all days...to be caught leaving office early..


So to the physiotherapy clinic..which had to be tucked in some obscure corner, when I was cursing under my breath already while walking with a rimrod back. So when I finally found it, I was so relieved..that relief (no pun intended) was here.


Attended by a physiotherapist called Cheryl, who I thought was carrying a fake australian accent while trying to cover her singlish intonations.... but hey, no rude thoughts cos she was going to be my saviour! According to Cheryl, the main problem was that my flexi joints on my spains are locked by the surronding muscles due to spasms, which was prob triggered by the crack I did last night, which now caused them to press on the nerves.


So 45 mins of diagnosis, stretches, massages to mobilise the back muscles, standing and sitting practises to ease the strain on the back area, and some exercises to do on my own.


And set myself back by a good $80


=.="


*heart pain*.


A followup was scheduled for this Fri. Seriously, I had obviously taking my back for granted until you realise that you cant even do the simple daily things like picking up things, bouncing down the stairs, or even just plain sitting down.


If every body part has an age attached to it, I think my back is probably like a 80 year old's. I better start taking good care of it; if not I would really walk like a liang po po after a few year.













No comments: