Sunday, November 22, 2009

A tough balance

Friday night was good (other than the fact that I left office earlier then usual compared to other days of the week. The usual was 10pm btw). We had a one year anniversary gathering for our HTAC course (woohoo!~ gosh..it's one year already?) al fresco along the Singapore River. And it sorta marked 1 year from the point when I was planning to take a different route.

One year on, I was whining over some beer beside the River, about how last minute and fickle things were at work. Much later that evening, somehow someone somewhen dropped a one-liner - 忙好过“pah bang" (beat mosquitos)

Well..that kinda put stuff into perspective once again for me. 忙是好事,只要不是瞎忙。Don't tell me that I had become such a softie after the 2 years of lousy postings that I have practically stagnated in terms of career development (but I have to qualify, I met great colleauges who become friends during that 2 years. It's the work that sucked), that I start to break under pressure of tight deadline.

But then again, I can feel my work ethos taking on a different slant - 生命有了什么才充实?绝对不是工作。 Which explain probably why I resent it when my free time is burnt..especially when work to be delegated could have been structured better.

It's a tough balance. Whereas I could sacrifice sleep and play for work before, I am definitely less reluctant now. However so, the workaholic cow in my starsign refuse to be tagged to such shoddy behaviour of not being able to meet deadline.

So after squeezing my brain dry for a report, its time to put on a CD (the mood calls for some Joanna Wang), and go read some books involving a character call Peter and his friends (that I found in some picturesque Cotswold Village. My brain calls for something plain, simple and old school).

No comments: