Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sesame Street is 40!

Sesame Street had to be the coolest kid show around. I still remember every sat morning is reserved as sesame street day and I always run to the tv in time to catch the retro-looking-kids-with-a-super-big-dog running around NYC opening credit.

Over the radio today - once in the morning when Idrove to work, and again at night when I drove home, the DJs were receving smses over air from people out there on who is their favourite Sesame Street character.
(anyway side tracking a bit, I wonder what is the age group spectrum of the people who sms in to the radio station. Do kids nowadays watch Sesame Street? Would the term "sesame street kid" only stick for a certain strata of age group??)

And I wonder why so many people like Elmo?? OKok...maybe it cos Elmo didn't exist when I first started watching Sesame Street, but there's so many other one-of-a-kind muppets around! ?


Like the cant be bothered gruffy Oscar who lives in a wondeful trash can that can turn up a lot of cool stuff.


And his friend the Worm.




The Honkers!

(Dont bruff..I am sure you pretended you were a honker at least once when you were watching Sesame Street last time..)




"It's.............Guy Smiley!"

"Thank you! Thank you!"



I just had to google for "Super Grover".





Hapless Gonzo. I always wonder what kind of animal is he suposed to be.



I cant find the picture of him in his chair, the one with the lightning and thunder in the background.



Animal!



And of course, the famous (so gayish) couple - "Bernie".

(gosh...2 men staying together, playing with a rubber duckie..Check out that picture in the background)




Of course, there are the others like Big Bird, Snuffy, Kermit & Piggy ( I associate them more with Muppets than Sesame Street though..but of course they are the same thing.)




This was the cast that I grew up watching. I still remember there was this lady who hand-signs. See that big dog at the back? That's the dog I was talking about at the start. This pic sure is nostalgic.



Hmm..I wonder if anybody can remember Electric Company..

1 comment:

san.guine xiaosiong said...

Prefered Electric Company. "Hey you guys!!!"