Sunday, November 29, 2009

The joy of having a good book to look forward to.

Was facing a literary drought and the latest book I bought (on impulse) lay unread for so many days no matter how many times I tried to turn the page. But the story was so slow...that I decided that I need something more ...erm..quirky.

So that day drove past the national library and decided to make an impromptu stop. The first shelf I hit was under "P"..but all the Terry Pratchett books were gone!!!! Gosh..Just when I thought Terry Pratchett is still relatively unknown in SG (never saw his books hit the top ten list here). But I know that NLB has his latest novel "Making Money"..now it between placing that book on reservation list on NLB or buying it next time I go Kino or Borders. I wonder how the audiobook sounds like though..?

But then it was easy to to go from "P" to my next hit - "R". I love the gruff like John Rebus in Ian Rankin's books. I accidently picked up one of his books (I think it will be "Mortal Causes") for a seemingly good sypnosis, and I have been going back for more. I think one of these days I will start John Rebus novels from his very first appearance in "Knots and Crosses".

I ended up with two Rankin, one Virginia Woolf, and another Scottish author. That will solve the drought for a while...and to prevent me from buying books on impulse!

(btw I wonder if Wind in the Willows will be a good book to read? Somehow the theme song from the BBC series kept coming into my head)

2 comments:

monkeycrab said...

I think you will like Prachett's latest book Unseen Academicals. Prachett is huge here in OZ land, I see tonnes of his books everywhere I go!

MojitoMint said...

he's got a new book! And I havent even gotten around to reading Making Money..