Thursday, August 6, 2009

Not so "happily-ever-after" afterall

Met a long time friend for dinner tonight. It was one of those cases where we were all caught up with our own lives, and most of the time, even when we meet up, it would be with everybody else. We had not talked like how we did..like never.

For one, I almost wanted to stuff the pork knuckle down my throat for not knowing about the problem she had with her husband for the past year, even if we had met each other for group gatherings and stuff a few times within the same period.

We talked about things that happened in our lives, and the conversation drifted to how couples around her (there weren't a lot of married people around me I realised) were having different kinds of problems. By the end of the conversation, I was kinda relieved that I was single.

I mean, when two persons get together, to me, it seems like it is to be forever. But reality shows that things are not all that rosy for a lot of married people out there. Of course, personally I heard of a case whereby the couple led separately sex lives (yes) and they are putting up the married front just for the kid. But after hearing some of the stories my friend shared and others which I came across, I began to ponder why people get married in the first place. Of course, some weren't that bad - secretly hating the in-laws, another one continued to put up at her mum's place while the husband stays in the HDB flat they bought together, but there were some that really brought the bile up, like how someone's father brought his mistress home.

I wonder if I am too old fashioned, to still believe in the sanctity of marriage when all these things are happening nowadays. Without sounding too mush, that two persons can meet in mind and thoughts before they decide to spend their lives together. So what happens to trust? And the promises, vows made..? Maybe, an ever-after marriage is becoming a rarity rather than the norm.

In my friend's case, it had been just that even though they have the common vision of spending their lives together, their approach and priorities were all different, and that problem had tangled itself up as time went by. Not that they don't love each other - my friend had said that she still see the husband as a life partner, just that they need that extra luck to go around to solve the issues haggling them. Though my first thought was, why hadn't all these issues been thrashed out before they got married, but I understand, two persons can never be the same, and it's only though real communications that problems get solved. Sometimes, real communication hurts, and it's only human nature to try to avoid them.

It's not easy, and I pray that my friend's problem can get some resolution..My tummy is feeling flu-ey..think my body reacting badly to this reality check.

4 comments:

Evelyn said...

as you already know (news as stale as stale bread. lol.), i am dying to get married. ha-ha.

i feel that for one to work, on top of the very important commitment and love for the relationship and for each other from both sides, some external factors play a part too.

temptation is a BIG thing - girls usually withstand this, but most guys just can't push it away. but i think it is something that is very real, and hurting to a relationship.
but i feel that if one is committed enough, he/she will take personal responsibility to (even before temptation manages to have its chance to hook him/her) avoid all possibilities of it.

i think i choose to be naive in love - i still believe in happily ever after.
if you do find someone who is compatible (i define it as someone whose faults you can tolerate and who can tolerate your faults) with you, i feel that both parties will be naturally inclined to make it work.
i believe in something though - after a period of time, relations get stale and boring and dead... and (romantic) love dies off...
for things to work for a long time, both parties must be committed to the relationship and be willing to make the effort. if one person lets go, then i think the relationship is prolly bound to fail.

i wish that mine will last forever and ever.
but ohwell, some things are just not within control.
one can list the 101 Dos and Don'ts of a maintaining a good relationship, but sometimes, circumstances just don't allow for things to happen.

to that, my response is that i will just love with all my heart, even if it means that i might get hurt more in the end (the higher you climb, the harder you fall.) it is quite stupid, in a way. you always hear people saying, never give 100%.
but, to me, at least, in the end, i don't fail myself. i know i can say that i have given it my all.
he doesn't cherish our love, and me. no choice lor.

all i can say is, better luck next time, and...
bastard. go and die. hahahahahahahaha.

MojitoMint said...

I knew something was wrong when i saw the cake!!!!

Aiyo my dear, hope everything is ok!

Evelyn said...

ehhhhh... nonono!!!

you misunderstand! haha.
i wrote this huge reply to this post, because it's something i have lots to say about... the bad things are prolly becos of a super lousy ex-boyfriend. haha.

the cake is another thing altogether. lol.

MojitoMint said...

:/

cheh. waste my one night of sympathy. hahah~