Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Godfather - the Trilogy

I had some sort of a movie marathon - in a sense that I was rushing to finish a total of 545 mins worth of movie with whatever snatches of time I had got before I had to returned the rented discs by Wed (in fact, I just finished the last bit in half an hour ago).


It started with lunch at JP, then was in the shop looking for "Flags of Our Fathers" which was always a show I wanted to see after "Letters from Iwo Jima". But the shop dont have..was about to leave the shop when I saw these :












Well..they have always said Godfather was one of the best films made around. And I totally agree with that after watching them!


I mean other than watching Al Pacino and Robert De Niro as young and innocent lads? And Diane Keaton as a sweet young thing?! That itself is quite amazing as it is :p



And Al Pacino was really quite smashing at that age too..muahahah~







What I didn't know Part I and II pre-dated me - Part I was shown in 1972 and II in 1974 (Part III was showin in 1990). But the story-telling of both Part I and Part II simply transcends beyond time. And so was the cinematography. The love, hate, fear, betrayal, the classic performances by the actors..Of course, the contradicting thing is that you feel sorry for the protaganist, that he was forced into his predicaments..but they are the mafia nonetheless?! Still people who uses various tools to garner their power, with no regards to laws.



My favourite has to be part II, when the fate of father and son are juxtapose beside each other depicting the different era of the Corleone family - 创业的辛劳,和守业的辛酸。Pure storytelling bliss.


Anyway the show made bowler hats look cool and Sicily a definite place to on my dream destination. In the meantime, I wil have to contend myself with this :/


No comments: