Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Enhance

I was helping a colleauge to proof read some articles, when I realise that the word "enhance" or its variation "enhancing" seems to be omni-present. Developmental projects are to "enhance" current operations, new tools are to "enhance"our capabilities, implemented measures are to "enhance" our relationship building with our counterparts.

Regurgitation makes me uneasy. So I sought out my online saviour.......

From www.dictionary.com :

en·hance
–verb (used with object), -hanced, -hanc·ing.
1. to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnify: The candelight enhanced her beauty.
2. to raise the value or price of: Rarity enhances the worth of old coins

So much for the definition. But the issues came back to ..are we intensifying or raising the value?

There are so many new things out that "enhance" our life - new tech toys with endless geek-thrilling improvements, new fusion gourmet recipes which combines the best of a little bit of everything, new diet formulas that promise instant results..

What happen to the basics they are supposed to satisfy? Soul gratifying simple stuff - my fav phone is still my old sony-ericsson which allows me to take great pics so far anywhere and anytime, comfort food is always home-made soup and my mantra for well-being is always moderation and balance in everything (though it's a stuggle to keep them so)

Perhaps I should just get a thesarus to solve my problem..well, there is always still www.dictionary.com which "enhances" my reports' vocabulary display...

No comments: