Sunday, February 1, 2009

Land of the Garuda - Day 1

The day couldn't have started any better.

My phone alarm didn't go off cos apparently although I had updated it to ring at 545am on Sunday, the "Sunday" wasn't captured, my sis woke up me at 615, the time when we were supposed to leave for airport, which leaves me 20 mins to change and grabbed my luggage before flying to the airport under 30 mins so that I can check in in time for my 745am flight.

But once on the flight, it was on schedule all the way.

Once I touched down at Jakarta, Fen and her parents picked me up and we went for a quick bite, before we went to the the National Monument ("Monas" for short) for a short city look-see-look-see. While Fen's parents queue up for us (it was a Sunday and it seemed to be a good day for families to bring their kids out, hence a long queue) Fen and I popped into the museum. I must say, if only the lighting for the exhibits improved, I would have been quite impressed with the figurine exhibits on Indonesia's road to independence. Most of the time, I joked with Fen, that the journey must be through dark ages, since most of the exhibits were shrouded in darkness.

After that, Fen and I went back to join the queue for another 20 mins before we managed to squeeze into the only lift that goes to the top of the monument. It was quite worth the wait up cos you get a panoramic view of the whole of Jakarta city. Though I can say I feel the same when I have to squeeze with many others again for the same lift to go down :( But then perhaps considering it was Sunday, it was not too bad. Just dont expect ordeliness and people have shampoo-ed head of hair.

After done with the Monas, we swung by to pick up Fen's siblings, and then we were again on the way to the airport to catch the domestic flight to Jogja. Due to an accident which had happened along the way, we were held up a bit and realised that we might be run the risk of missing our flight.

Jakarta's domestic airport is HUGE! We went to the wrong wing and realised that it was the wrong one, since we were supposed to be at Wing C and we found ourselves at Wing A. When Fen said "Uh oh.." I didn't realise the extent until after 5 mins of quick walking, I found myself looking across half the hall, and realised that Wing B is another 5 mins away.

By the time we reached wing C, I was sweating :s But still in time to caught our flight :)

So flew off, touched down, hailed cab and checked in. And then we hit the so called shopping street of the town - Malioboro. If you are the kind who loves pasar malam, you will probably like Malioboro. But the wares tend to be the same all down the street. Though I had an interesting dinner at one of the roadside setup. Fen's sister told me that Central Javanese's eating habit involved laying rugs and lay the food on the floor. So that was what we did. Along the roadside. Though there were some low tables provided. Food was ok only though..local fare. (photos soon..too lazy tonight :p)

Anyway tomorrow should be the higlight of the trip. Going to Borobudur :)) Cross fingers for nice weather!

No comments: