Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sat at the Army Musuem of Singapore

This is an entry which was long overdue. It started on a Sat morning, when I had looked like shit...my mind was still in the morning jammed mode, and hadn't warmed up by the time I reached my pre-arranged location, which explains the poorly taken pics...

Where I was supposed to go...The building really looked quite forbidding, which I guess will be the right feeling to invoke I guess, since it's the Army Musuem of Singapore anyway.










I had to make sure..in case my foggy mind bring me to somewhere else.












Nice sunny day..the lake that divides the ArMS and the Singapore Discovery Center. There were actually those one-man paddling boats (that I recall seeing in the pics when my mum was young)at the other side of that pavilion that you see, but then my half awake mind didn't register to take photo.



Bought lunch while waiting for my friend aka personal guide to come..

Anyway, I had only complains about this place. The food is ordinary but the price they charge is exorbitant. One simple smoked salmon sandwich cost me $6 while a regular coffee $3. Packed your own sandwich and picnic by the lake (got benches at the side) or eat your fill first before going.













Anyway my friend came, finished off the lunch and started off the tour. We started off with the silver collection, which I realised the 2 photos I took didn't do the collection justice. So no photos..but one thing that struck me was that silver is definitely an integral part of the history of any uniform forces which have any part of their history involved with the British colony. I am not sure whether if it's only the British which had this traditional, or it was common among those European countries?

Before the start of the tour, was greeted by the wall mural. According to my guide, the tiles on the walls are recycled from tanks, while the letters, crest and the "mobilisation man"were recycled from catridges(?!)


Steel of Our People







The whole tour was a linear one way, so it was pretty easy to navigate around. After one overturned bus (so surreal, only went to Images of Singapore 1 week ago and saw all the riot scenes), came to the Timeline Wall, which depicted the birth of the Singapore Volunteer Corp to the present day Army.

The crest of the Singapore Volunteer Copr. After it was dismantled from the cast iron gate from the club house, it was actually dumped unceremoniously along the road, until a former volunteer felt quite gek sim..brought home and sprayed gold to prevent rust (it originally was painted in colours).
Heng, if modern day it would have been sold off the scrap metal yard in a blink of an eye.


Making of an soldier..think will bring back a lot of good memories for some guys. A replica of a bunk from P. Tekong, which actually was an actual bunk pulled down. All the wooden planks that made up the wall in this replica were the original. So were the light and fan switches and metal sheets covering the supposedly roof.


What memories were made off..kinda remind me of my metal cabinet which hoards my treasures during the 9 mths training. I used to half open my cabinet door like this, and "giap" my clip fan aiming at myself during those hot stuffy nights.


There was a hoe in one of the display opp the P. Tekong bunk, which I believe a lot of guys see already will "lau bak sai" while thinking back..hahah~ think guys will know what I mean. Again, forgot to take photo :s

An interactive panel at the Atrium that explains to you what are the different units from SAF.









What makes the heart strong..










Anyway what's coming up are the stuffs that made the trip fun... ;) The interactive gallery!!


Can you see what's there?







real size tanks!









Check out those crate like stuff..those are movable crates for seats.






They had two shows:Show 1 'Our Army Now', and Show 2 'A Day in the Life of...'(more details in the ArMS website), where you felt that you were caught within the whole actions. Supposed to have special water and wind special effects, but they were down that day. Unlucky me :s
After that walked through Army Operations, where the story of SQ117 was recounted, and Creating Our Future, on the futuristic take on national defense.
Lastly, the ArMS showcase Our People.
I like this shot the mostest :)








The gallery showcased a show directed by Royston Tan, but didn't get chance to watch.

The whole tour ended with the SAF Pledge, a reminder of what the men of our countries put in their efforts for.










There were really a lot of details which I did not write down, cos there's really so much! Of course, fun and interactive aside, it does hit home, sovereignty is so hard fought. What would have happened if there is any time in the course of history that we slipped and lose the ruling rights to our country.
I think my entry didn't do the whole trip justice, cos it was really more interesting that what appeared here. The only way is to go see for yourself! It's free (well, until end of the year anyway)..just don't go to the cafe :p

No comments: