Tuesday, October 23, 2007

复古豆沙饼店

I had meant to blog about this last week. But over taken by so many things that I did over the weekend (including a tourist's perspective of Sentosa..that one is a story all by itself..I think we have an attraction that can rival Gold Coast Movie World..or at least that's my perception since I had only been to the theme parks there).
Anyway...to start off, a friend from China told me that he finds it weird that Singaporeans are asking him what he has eaten and whether he has tried some famous dishes in Singapore, which led him to wonder why the conversations always revolves around food?!It seems like Singaporeans are obsessed with FOOD. Everything revolves around food - where is the best chicken rice, where is the most delicious 剪刀剪..blah blah..you get my drift. And I realised that I have been blogging about food quite a bit..my Singaporean instinct kicking in.

Anyway, my entry today - TAU SAR PIA :))

It all started with a lunch trip along Balestier last Friday, where a few of us walked out to have lunch.From a threatening overcast sky, it turned into a downpour. Since we didn't want to walk back in the downpour and end up with cold wet trousers for the rest of the afternoon, we decided to go buy tau sar pia from one of the shops at the starting end of Balestier Road, where we recalled got seats so can "lim kopi" while waiting for the rain to stop.

That was how we ended up at 龙发豆沙饼店。



The sign says that the shop has been around for around 40 over years and according to another poster on another wall (I forgot to take), the shop has not renovated since then!






Which explains this...



Marble top kopi table plus wooden chairs






And this...

High-back wooden booths
(one auntie came out of the baking area when she noticed that I was taking photo. I thought she was going to scold me, but then she was very excited and told me "这里很多人来坐这边拍结婚照的!“ I was like -.-" ...lost for words at that moment)



I forced Alex to sit at the booth for effect. He refused to pose :/ (NS not easy nowadays...hahahhaah~)






Quaint right??

The real stars came shortly....traditional kopi/teh/kopi-o + egg tart + FRESHLY BAKED TAU SAR PIA! How I know they were freshly baked? (hint - look at the second photo)
Bought 5 back to try..and mum liked them (so did I..regretted not buying more). Looking forward to the next time to go lim kopi there again!

No comments: