Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mid year springclearning

Hmm..I better buy some more hangers, I thought looking at the pile of clothes that I swore that I will never fold and chuck at the end of the cupboard, never to see daylight until:-
(i) I remember to iron them, which usually doesn't happen if I can help it (crinkle free clothes are the saviour for any workday); or
(ii) I rediscover them in the next spring-clearning.

Which was what happened - I "rediscovered" them after an impromptu clearing of the cupboard 2 weeks ago.

One night after work, I was putting stuff back into my cupboard and an avalanche happened - a pile of clothes stacked too haphazardly finally defied gravity and toppled all over. Ack. Not a pretty sight, trust me.

I was like..what? Am I living in a pig sty???

And that led to an impromptu spring-cleaning of one side of that cupboard. And start of the usual dilemma when taking out old clothes:

- Oohh..I liked it so much when I bought it..
- But it's such a waste, I only wore it once! (and trying not to remember exactly why I only wore it that once)
- I am sure I will wear this again (And nothing else that I can match it with..)
- Hmm ...I can definitely fit into this again soon~ (I still probably sure I can still! If I become more discipline in my exercise routine..)

But in the end I decided to harden my heart and only took back in those I DEFINITELY will wear instead of those which I may only don in my fantasy. And left the ones which I wanted in a pile so that I would hang them up in plain view so I will not go on a shopping spree again thinking that I have nothing to wear.

And so those clothes are still in the pile..because...erm..I ran out of hangers.

Easy, just buy hangers right?

I then looked at my wardrobe in dismay. The problem is that I'm not sure if I can squeeze in any more stuff on hangers into my wardrobe =.=".

Ok, the truth is out. I have been a hoarder the past few years, going through the motion every year, taking out clothes intending to chuck them and then changing my mind, with the promise that "I think I will definitely wear that again!" and hung them back to the wardrobe.

So today, I hardened my heart. Enough is enough! I started taking out every single piece of item in the wardrobe and mentally went "Yes..No..No..Yes..Erm..hmm..Yes..argh..No.!! You know you will never be caught dead in that!"

And after that, within the "Yes" pile, there were those "Definitely Yes!" pieces that went back to the wardrobe straight away. And there were the "Maybe..Yes", which I had to try on piece by piece to convince myself that I would never fit/wear those ever again.

And the same went for the "No" pile. Going through the "Yes" pile first had its benefit..the "Definitely Yes" and "Maybe Yes" exercise had made it easier to set the benchmark on what keeprs, so I don't think I have kept any of the "No" pile. Not to mention that the wardrobe is already decently full to remind me that I have enough clothes to go by already.

And the results...



Looks better. The pre- photos are so horrifying that I refuse to put them up.

Guess it was right not to buy more hangers


Going to donate out the clothes, all in good condition. And I promise, I shall not succumb to impulsive shopping again! :x

No comments: