Thursday, May 12, 2011

Edith Piaf La Vie En Rose

I was tempted to pick up French because of Emilie Simon.

Alas, like any other temptations, I started to rationalise..

- what if I need to work OT?
- what if I cannot persevere through the evening classes, feeling hungry/sleepy/grouchy....
- what if...

hmm..

Anyway got a free tix to watch "No Regrets, A Tribute to Edith Piaf" and I was tempted again.

Can't remember when did I come across Edith Piaf..probably it was when I was scouring around on more info on Emilie Simon that I came across some of her old songs in Youtube. Then I learnt that she was the original singer of La Vie En Rose. The song that is so familiar and iconic that I'm sure that many people would have heard before not knowing what it's called. (And the song helped me win some tickets to Cheer Chen concert last year :D)

Then it was "Non, je ne regrette rien" - before it became popular in Inception. How did I come across it? Erm...when I was scouring the net again on a particular subject and saw that someone actually did a tattoo using those words.

And of course, my favourite website wikipedia spewed more info on this legendary singer and her colourful life.

So when a friend asked if I was interested to watch an Edith Piaf tribute, I immediately said yes :)

It was a great show! However within the min of the start of the show, it then dawned on me (other than locking it in the calendar, the exact fact didn't cross my mind) that heck...even though Edith Piaf did sung English versions of her songs, it's a tribute to her dummo, and obviously the show would cover her French songs! And not if I know any French!

But thank goodness, about half the songs were in English, and even for those in French, the narration of each song by Hossan Leong introduced the story to each of them, which were arranged and sung so well that you can feel the emotions stirred just listening to them.

Of course, it would have been better if I understood French. And sooooo....hmm..

Although there had been many other covers, but nothing beats the original. In black and white some more..gives the song more flavour :)


No comments: