Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Can you still bear to reach out for that bowl of sharkfin soup?

Someone once told me before - "If it's a pity to kill sharks for shark fins, then shouldn't the same apply to chicken or pigs?"

I couldn't think of a good way to rebutt that person (anyway the conversation took place over a wedding dinner, so I don't think my friend would care to have a table engage in any heated argument over one of the many dishes to be served).

Then I can only say, you don't kill a chicken, throw the carcass away and only eat its feet right? (Ok, that sounded like a super lame and weak argument). And a chicken is not endangered in anyway and you definitely can farm them (I don't even convince myself).

To many, once you profess that you don't eat shark fin, they would automatically assume that

(i) you are a diver; and
(ii) you are out of your mind somewhat for refusing to eat the only dish which would have warranted the hundred odd dollars you have given in that red packet.

But I don't know anybody, even non-divers, can bear to eat shark fin again if you watch the end of this clip. And recall the last time you had that bowl of shark fin soup during a wedding dinner (and do you remember when was that?)

(I might just turn vegetarian if I can't twist my mind around the chicken/sharkfin argument??)


No comments: