Thursday, June 25, 2009

Double Jeopardy?!

Someone told me duirng lunch today, "Nobody will believe that you are still single at this age lor. They would have thought that you are attached liao."

I rolled my eyes twice over.

This wasn't the first time I heard this. Just last week during the dive trip, someone also commented, "Sure or not? You really single meh? Dont look like it leh"

Yes. I. Am. Single. SINGLE. You know, the kind that stay home on Friday nights, who doesn't bother to check phones, who doesn't plan for couple-y things to do together, who doesn't get flowers when she returns for work from long MC or when she feels a bit down.

Oh. The last bit was the-green-eye-monster in me ranting after seeing my colleague getting her third bouquet of flowers in the office :p

Heck. Already single, but the vibe of being attached is probably keeping potential suitors away. It's getting more frequent (that people commented as such) that I start to wonder, how does one look "attached"?? I walk as normally, talk as normally, act as normally as any bachelorette (I think). And how does one look "single"? Like "looking desparate"? Or being coquettish?? I rather somebody kill me first before I do any of these just to look "single".

Sometimes I think I may have ran out of my 桃花运, and the idea of getting into a relationship is becoming more foreign as the days go by.

There were friends who tried to help. An ex-colleague just forwarded me an email on those MHA club for singles mailer. I was grimacing just looking at the email title. Another advocates dating websites after he met his wife through one. I concluded that the aversion to such platforms may just boil down to pride and discomfort - I cant imagine having to meet a stranger with such loud intention "Hello, I'm single. You are single too. Let's try it out!".

A friend's take on those was that it's basically just to widen your social circle, which was a stand that I am slowly trying to adopt..to not much success.

Whatever.I will just continue to do stuff I like.. and probably continue to look "attached". Just help pass the word that I am not.

3 comments:

san.guine xiaosiong said...

Hear Hear...

The single males are the ones losing out if they don't dare to approach the hot belle

MojitoMint said...

erm..thanks for the support? that sounds kinda weird though..haha~

Evelyn said...

i was quite surprised to know that you are single too.
you look good lor. sometimes, i see you dolling up a little more than usual, i take a second glimpse and think to myself: "this Pauline looks quite good leh! PLUS she is tall and sporty! totally the dream girl of some guys!"
actually, i secretly admire your legs when you wear skirts. i think they are super slender and nicely-shaped, can. hehe.

i think it boils down to yuan fen hai mei dao?
and, i think the social circle thing could be one likely reason too?

but, love comes at the most unlikely times, when you least expect it. ;)