Monday, August 2, 2010

e-Reader

I remember this entry, about missing the feel of paper in my hands should I ever give up the actual books for hi-techy stuff.

The day might just be near. I am seriously considering getting either this:

After I saw one of my friend (who is forever carrying the latest techy stuff..) showing us over dinner one day (show off! :p), and of course I had to borrow and play around with it. Oh gosh. Books on demand! Free EPub books! Borrow books from the National Library! But do noticed a bit of glare, slight flickering when turning the pages (it's touch screen - a plus!), and the Sony store for online book appeared quite..under stocked..

or this:



What else. The Kindle (Latest Generation DX Graphite)
When considering an e-reader, I must of course at least see what the Sony Reader compares to in the market, and it seems the benchmark is always Kindle in all the forums. No qualms on clarity and readability. Proprietary to Amazon - All the titles! Better PDF reads! But then..no national lib for this one. But smoother transition for page turning (but not touch screen, navi is via buttons)

Seriously, the price for both is not that much of a difference, which makes all the more difficult to decide which one to get. hmm....

Ok. In my all ideal scenario situation, someone would be able to sell me a mint condition PRS600 which I will thrash around for a while, before I decide to go for kindle for a change. However, maybe I can hope that my neighbour is this guy. Then I can go knock on his door and borrow a different one everyday.

Choices!!!

2 comments:

Sunshine23 said...

u can't be serious...
Although it seems much more practical as in space and maybe even $$ (in long run)?? but the feel of a book can never be replaced de wor..

MojitoMint said...

ooohh..that's what i thought too.
Until I read through some pages of my friend's sony reader, it feels so natural that you don't realise you are not looking at paper, and then you dont have to use your hands to hold open the pages..i'm hooked!