Monday, August 30, 2010

My new gadget



Yesh :) A pre-owned Sony E-reader PRS 600 that I was looking for. The previous owner, told me when we met up that he has gotten it from UK since last year, but didn't have much use for it. Not much e-books selection, he said.

So far, I have finished one Terry Prachett and one John Grisham, both borrowed from the National Library. And now, I have:-
  • the Stieg Larsson - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy (I plan to finish them before I go watch the movie!!) (hopefully..);
  • two more borrowed books from the National Library - Dune Book 3 and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy;
  • 射雕英雄传 (现处于-郭靖已拜七怪为师了)
  • Oliver Twist (I want to try the Gutenburg Project)

And I wonder why the pre-owner said that there wasn't much e-books options..

Cons?

The only major grouse was that Sony Reader Library, the default application for the e-reader died on me..seems that it is a common grouse for a lot of other owners from the forums, driving them to embark on alternatives, seemingly more stable applications like Adobe Digital Edition, and Calibre. Well, it's Sony's loss then for losing its captive market for its online book store.

Second (minor) grouse..after I finished the first 2 borrowed library books, I cant "return" them, will have to wait for them to expire on their own (pro - I dont have to go to the library physically = I don't incur late fees just cos..I was too lazy to move my butt. Works well for me :D)

I ish happy :DD

3 comments:

monkeycrab said...

My turn now to contemplate getting an e-reader and I remember you blogging about comparing this Sony one vs Kindle so I came back to refer. Are you still happy with the Sony one now? I wonder if I get the Sony reader here in Aus, will I also have access to the state library... hmmm....

MojitoMint said...

Yes! I am still using my e-reader a lot! The PRS 600 is replaced by the PRS650, which sets me thinking if I should upgrade for the longest time, but my prs600 is still working fine..so...
I know kindle can only read e-books from amazon cos of the propriety software thing, but I am not sure if calibre can help convert other epubs/mobi to the kindle readable format, not very well versed in that area. Maybe can check out this forum: www.mobileread.com.
As for borrowing books from the state lib, check out either the mobileread forum or your state lib website? they might just state on the webpage.

btw I read mobile read home page showcasing new sony e-reader...PRS T1.. hmmm... :D

monkeycrab said...

Thanks for the feedback! I'm deciding between Kindle and Sony. It's super frustrating here in Aus as they are not big on gadgets and I am having difficulty finding a store where I can physically go in and play around with BOTH gadgets side by side to compare them. I have only found a few stores that sell the Sony reader but they don't have the latest model. So I intend to go shop for them in SG when I'm back in Sep (cheaper in SG too!).

I've been checking out the Kindle Store for their range of books and though it's extensive, there are still books I can't find in there. So if the Kindle is only restricted to what is offered in the Kindle Store on Amazon, then that's a huge limitation...

I'll go do more research from the mobileread site and other forums when I have time then share with you.