Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Youth Olympic Games 2010




Even as Singapore was announced to be the host country of the inaugural Youth Olympics, I thought I would be more excited when the it actually starts.

Come 2010. I asked a friend working as a sports reporter if the YOG has created any wave within the media circle, not privy to the rest of the public. She said there wasn't any, only the exhorting news that the production cost is at least 3 times exceeding budget, and that was before when the news hit mainstream media.

Hmm..

Come Aug. Still no hype..I see more NDP banners and flags, and the only thing that greeted me every morning when I go to work "Give Way to YOG Vehicles".

Hmmm..

Come Aug 14. I was scratching my head over the ideas behind some of the segments of the opening ceremony (Why are the hosts wearing rainbow apparels - they don't get sponsored with YOG tees? Why are they singing Malay songs and Nobody? How come no sign of the mascots? What was the Maori war dance about??) , and distracted while my mum was laughing when the flag bearers couldn't follow their countries' plaque bearer for nuts.

But I was awed when the flag bearers stood in an arch and look up towards the raising flag, looking towards the higher ideals the Olympic games hopes to bring. Not only about winning and medal, but about sportsmanship, and friendship bonded over testing of skills and physique. The phoenix over the water looked grand gliding towards the platform (we were just waiting for that since sis was a volunteer dragonboater rowing in one of the boats before the phoenix - otherwise my mum proclaimed that she would have gone to sleep already), and the final leg of the torch bearer running over water towards the cauldron.

And what a magnificent cauldron! I was amazed at the vortex of fire that gave an unique twist (no pun intended) to the Olympic flame burning throughout the games.

OK..so much for the opening ceremony. Still no feeling of excitement.

Until I chance upon the YOG channel (was this stated anyway in the print media or mainstream channels??) and saw a couple of highlights and that was when it really dawned on me that the YOG is really happening in Singapore. The glint of the eyes of the TKD athlete before he went in for the kick at Suntec Center, the determination in the face of the swimmers as they hit the pool at the Singapore Sports School..

Young bodies who have sacrificed time, blood and sweat in the name of sports. The discipline, determination and desire to keep moving towards the goal set are such universal qualities that can never start too young . That finally clicked for me. Now I so want to watch the games at the hockey pitch..



No comments: