Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Identity (Card) Crisis

After hemming and hawing for the last 4 months, I finally submitted my application for new IC ;(

As if upgrading into the new age bracket isn't traumatic enough..I kept having to be reminded (and chiding myself) by the mailers that ICA sent: -

"hey..you are 30. Change you IC. Stop bluffing people with your secondary school photo on your IC already.."


"Quit being in denial liao..Continue to be in denial and face the fact that you gonna break the law"


Darn. Not that I am super proud of my chubby-face-photo on my current IC, but then that means I have to try to submit a decent looking photograph for the new IC. I mean I dont want having to keep people from sniggering everytime they see my IC right? IC should be something that I should be no reservations to fish out whenever necessary?


Hmmph..


First, I hate to take photographs.


Second, I hate to take photographs.


Yes. I hate to take photographs. This has been the case, until I learnt the terms "angling" and "side profile".


But IC photo is supposed to be all front profile and full face! SO hence explain the procrastination.


Anyway decided that that was it last sat when I detoured to a studio at Clementi which I remembered was around since my secondary and JC days. After confirming that it's still around (from another recent new-IC applicant) and the fact that they do touch-up (yes!), it was a day when I think I at least looked decent enough since I had to attend a function later that night. Did 2 sets - one for IC and the other for resume photos (I thought since I am at it, I might as well take more. You never know when you need them).

Wasn't a very good experience cos -

1. I kept having the creeping feeling that my hair is out of place.

2. The photographer kept barking "Smile! COME ON SMILE!"

3. I forgot how weird when you have to twist awkward angles for those angled-body shots

When done (in all of about 3 mins+another 5 mins waiting to pay and grab the receipt), I was like fleeing from the studio with relief.

With much anticipation, I collected the photographs today in soft and hard copies. God. I should have asked to see the shots after the guy took it. My IC photos looked bad. And I looked super photoshopped and so fake... I think if I manage to master Photoshop I can save the $$ going to the studio..Anyway since gotto recrop and resize..tinkering around..and here's the final product



(I cheated - instead of using the IC photograph I used the resume photo version. I dont care.)

(anyway see the pink cardigan? I checked on some forum that says pink will make your complexion look better in IC photographs - ok I was desparate :s)

I just hope that ICA accepts the photograph and save me the hassle of having to take another photograph. Though I am not sure if I ever get checked on the road with messy hair and sleepy eyes, will I ever be detained for impersonation?



1 comment:

cy said...

no they won't detain you, but you might get into trouble at velvet, which happened to me once and i got refused entry!

how humiliating when the person even stamped something on the back of my palm to claim that i can't be accepted into the club for the night. horrible memories.