Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tong Soi

It's been a while since I had tong soi..港式糖水! I missed the times when my dad would bring us to this tong soi place in Chinatown next to Maxwell Market(closed down long ago..).
After a hearty dinner at Beach Road steamboat -
(to make up for missing much of breakfast and lunch and shivering in cold rain for most part of the day in the name of hockey)
(and a day of bruises..I thought the count ended last night..but just found out this morning that I had a super big bruise on the outside of my right ankle, and I didn't even know how i got that!)
ZA suggested tong soi..which sounded like a jolly good way to end the day even though most of us were groaning from super full stomach :D So we trooped off to Liang Seah St just round the corner


Go figure the name of the shop..










杨枝干露 - actually I never register this as cantonese tong soi..cos it didn't exist during my childhood days of sesame paste and peanut paste :/ But this version had coconut milk, which the rest said shouldn't be inside.












Table full of desserts..I think we didn't eat like girls that night :p












Boring traditional me having my childhood favourite - sesame paste!
But lose to the one I had when I was a kid :(









The shop had other stuff which caught my eyes..this looks like a shop of curios.


























I think I am quite set to start looking for good sesame paste places...

1 comment:

cy said...

oh my. this tong sui place..i think it's the one that was advertised on tv before. is it the one which is quite famous for their yam paste too? i've heard of two nice dessert places around chinatown, but haven't got the chance to go down there to try it out. anyway, the recent desserts which i just put up can be found at plaza sing ;)

regards
cy