Sunday, September 18, 2011

Physical Limits

At this moment, I am wondering what the f*** happened.

I was limping up and down the stairs, when I was suddenly overwhelmed by embarrassment that even the after-run pain from my last 21km wasn't even half as bad, that I laughed out loud to myself. I am now suffering from so much pain from all possible muscles groups in the limbs than I ever thought possible (even the national days wasn't that bad cos recovery time was definitely faster) :/

All because of the hockey friendly game yesterday and the 10km yellow ribbon run this morning. And to put into context, I probably played only max 25 mins (not even one half!) on the hockey pitch and a slow paced game at that. And 10km? I thought I had it in my pocket after the weekly long runs. Ok, not that exactly, but I hadn't expect it to feel so painful trudging through that distance, no thanks the lactic acid build-up had less than 24 hours to dissipate.

I remember somewhere along that 10km, I reminded myself that despite whatever age I feel (which fluctuates between erm..25 to 80 sometimes), the body definitely follows its clock. Time to accept the fact and make adjustments already. No more punishing routines that the body is not prepared for (hmm..ok, though I really can't help that the friendly game was just the day before the run, I didn't regret playing with old friends once over again!) I thought to myself. And be nicer to myself for goodness sake! Your body is a temple to be worshiped, not to be savaged by unnecessary "evil stuff" - junk food, late nights ...etc etc

If the sun was not as bright and glaring all over Changi, you would have seen the momentous zen glow around me (minus the reflection off the bucket of sweat all over of course) before I struggled for that last few km barging through the strollers spewed all over the running lane (they have got to start educate strollers to start keeping left! Grrr..)

When driving home half zomb-ed, I was thinking back and wondering how hockey seniors like Mel and Flo did it. They were playing competitively (national and league) way pass the so -called prime athletic years, all into their late 30s and 40s. Of course, there are all those men and women in their 40s and 50s running marathons, doing triathlons and everything else that even cows anybody younger. I am sure of some common themes that pop up- passion for the sports they do, and helluva discipline in keeping their bodies in tip top condition to enjoy this passion that they have.

If youth is a wanton display of energy with no specific goal in mind, I guess growing old forces you to be more focused on what is important and prioritize. Not one of the faint hearted definitely. And I am in!!!



Hell ya!

1 comment:

Sunshine23 said...

Take it easy gal!! But the sun is killing at Changi..