Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Oh vanity!




That drives one to walk relentlessly through the throngs of people amassing in the ubiquitous malls in Singapore.

All because of one frivolous idea - I got no shoes to wear (the same frivolous idea that flitted every morning when I open the crowded wardrobe in that one life defining moment before I decide what I will wear to face the world for the rest of the day)(which will probably be something that I don't need to iron and look decently presentable in).

Sometime back I was starring at the shoes I had got and decided that I really have nothing to wear for a wedding dinner. Other than the shoes for work (which on their own aren't those sensible ones anyway..not if you intend to walk in 3 inch heels constantly). And in the end I hurriedly chose one pair and decided that heck..it's not my wedding anyway. And during the dinner, an unkindly friend passed an unkindly comment about my shoes (hmm..I should have trusted my ex-boyfriend's assessment of her.Sometimes guys can't be bothered with fronts and hence can see through one easily. )

Of course, any feeling of frivolity went out of the window. Though I was not mad at that person..I decided that I should at least go shopping, which was something that I hadn't really been doing for..hmm..long..I cannot remember when was the last time I went shopping along Orchard Road. And I decided that I might as well go to the extreme..and get something that is more bling.

I swear that in my younger days, I would never own anything that even resembles bling and risk my reputation. But I guess priorities change as one age.

So spent two afternoons there cutting through post christmas crowds. And whoever thought bling shoes were so hard to find? Most of them are OTT loud, or bridal-ey lacy type. On the later, I think I probably get enough ideas for anybody who plans to buy bridal shoes (my top recommendation is this which I found during a pre-shopping research. But the 114 others were also all too yummy..).

On the second day, even landed more collateral damages (all thanks for friend who showed me her horse-riding pants and sharing her store discount card :p) and not finding shoes. But I eventually did find something, thanks to patient friend who help me vet shoe after shoe after shoe..and eventually down to the last two pairs, even helped me model the two different colours (always bring a good friend shopping!)

Are they bling enough?? Yes, my reputation is now ruined..but I am a partially blinded by the blings that I can't be bothered too much :)


No comments: