Saturday, March 12, 2011

Over-worked

I have been so busy at work that I literally felt like a tightly wound up spring that is ready to snap (B.O. - if you are reading this, yes, low flash point).

Had planned to camp in office for the weekend, if not for the fact that I had promised a friend much earlier (and bought tickets) to watch Emily of the Emerald Hill, and on the way there, while catching up, "how come you're so busy?" came up and I was inevitably whining (argh I hate to be like that). Impossible timeline, no concerted effort,bosses living in their own Fantasia time zone and expecting everything to magically be completed and presented to them at the snap of a finger.

"You know, sometimes I wonder how come we can't just say no." To which, my friend replied. "Perhaps it's the reminiscent of the uniform culture la...too ingrained in you already."

Makes sense. Nobody has every said no to the top honcho is my previous organisation before. In fact, I'm sure a lot of people will see it as a CSM (career suicide move) and see their CEP drop to the gutters if they every do. And the friend gave a very good example - if you are on the ground and the leader says "Move in now!", what would be the outcome if the team member turn around and look at him,"Eh..can we don't?". The whole command and control structure totally crumbles and makes everybody - including the leaders and even the team members - look like a fool.

But...I'm out of the uniform already!!! Even so, I still believe that there is still the supervisor/subordinate role which should be suitably fulfilled by both parties, albeit with a different approach than the command-and-obey rule. Got to learn to say "no" to unrealistic expectations though..

Life's a bitch sometimes...

No comments: