Friday, July 2, 2010

A Piece of the Big Apple

It has been 4 days since I reached this metropolitan city. When the plane was swopping over to turn to JFK airport, it was an eye opener looking for 2 things:

(i) I have never seen an area more dissected by grids and grids of built up area, and
(ii) when nearing the suburb areas, the rows of houses look so toy-like, like those lego houses, that one would think that it's possible to just pluck one up.

It was easy to navigate the NYC streets, so long as you can count the numbers of streets. Just dont too foolhardy like me, to try to walk anything more than 10 streets. After a while you realise why the ladies in NYC only wear flats and slippers.

Another thing I realise after getting slightly lost on the first night trying to walk back to my friend's apartment. First time walking back to Grand Central Terminal, I took a look at the name - "MetLife" perching on top of the builidng, one of the landmark recognisable from the apartment's windows, and started to walk towards the general direction. 5 minutes later, I tried to take my bearing again by looking up, and realised that I was surrounded by tall, unrecognisable blocks. Can't see Metlife building anymore. Thereafter it was hitting every corner by trial and error until I found the familiar landmark of the corner store near my friend's place.

Talk about an urban concrete jungle.

Haven't been taking photos..just felt so caught up in the pace of this city. And one thing I am very sure, my feet and legs hurt from so much walking.

No comments: