Monday, June 18, 2012

Underground New York Public Library

It has been a while since I have been reading, and this blog kinda made me miss that feeling of immersing in another dimension for a breather.

Although the statement "You can't judge a book by its cover" may/may not be totally applicable in this case..if you read the blog you would get what I mean.

Compared to the New York Underground, I think very much less people actually read on the train in Singapore (or at least from what I noticed during my daily commute). If reading/watching anything, it would more likely be a smartphone or a tablet, playing games or watching movies/shows (I'm equally guilty as well, but then again, it's Season 2 of Games of the Throne! I can't continue with book 5 thinking about how HBO would dramatise book 2!). Perhaps Singaporeans are just not into reading, and I wonder what that suggest as to our national psyche.

That aside, though is a fact, it's still amazing at how many different titles and genre that  people are reading, which somehow reflect a little on the inner realm of the person holding that book at that particular time. And that is really that "something" about a dog-eared book, which you know would have passed through many hands and nourished many minds.

That's just sentimental I know, not that I regret my e-reader now, but reading the blog really calls out to  that desire to grab a good well-used real book submerged by all the techie gizmos, and getting lost amongst the yellowed pages once again.

No comments: