Monday, October 11, 2010

The Nightmare

It was a crowded day at the lagoon..on second take, it appeared more like an in-land lake, with people lounging on the sand next to the water, or taking canoe, kayak to the water. The tall office buildings surrounding the lagoon loomed over, somewhat jaded that their occupants are out having fun.

The sky turned dark without any warning, became oddly disquiet, and something felt like it was brewing menacingly. The wind suddenly stirred, and from the horizon over the water, gathered speed, building up to a column.

A typhoon! I shouted inwardly. I turned and saw despairingly, three typhoons!

The people gathered their stuff and dashed to wherever looked like it could provide some form of cover. The unfortunate few still on their kayak/canoe were capsized and never surfaced. I ran in between the people, turning back at the lagoon and saw that whirlpools had formed, sucking in whoever were near the water.

Unknowingly, I reached the shoreline with the open sea in front of me. I jumped into the sea, together with the many people, and started to paddle, squeezing for space. And the first wave hit me from behind. The typhoons over the lagoon finally caught up, raised the lagoon water, and thunder down into the sea, threatening to drown us all.

I paddled and paddled, occasionally looking back. The tower carrying the logo of a bank toppled into the lagoon..and another blue building which looked vaguely familiar also fell prey under the typhoon and collapsed into the waters. I imagined the screams of the people trapped inside those buildings, with no way to save their own lives under concrete and water.

Another wave from the lagoon raised skywards, before hitting down on the masses who were swimming for their lives in the open sea, dragging everybody down. I surfaced and started paddling again, but now towards the shore, struggling to keep afloat while looking up at the same time, anticipating another tsunamic wave to come and perhaps which may just bring me down for good. When I finally reached the shore, I found some of my friends on the beach, and we huddled together, suffering wave after wave..praying for the pounding of the waves to stop and I started to wonder how it feels to die when you absolute had no other choices about it..
.
.
.
.
.
.

And I woke up. I flipped over to check my phone on the bedside table - 6am. Again. Another hour before the alarm was supposed to sound. I turned back trying to get back to sleep, but as with the past few weeks, sleep eluded me while the sense of alarm did not dissipate.

Something is seriously wrong with my mental state.







No comments: